Winter - that time of the year when all you want to do is cozy up in a corner and read a good book, while wanting to binge on hot chocolate, Carrot halwa, Garam garam pakodas. But let’s face it, these are high in calories and add extra weight thats hard to lose. Yikes!
So here is a traditional laddoo that is common in north indian households in winter - is rich in protein, gives you energy boost and at the same time.. is super YUM! Because it's made out of nuts, seeds, jaggery & ghee - you can eat them guilt free. Oh, did I mention? It's gluten free, vegan & baby friendly!
Here’s what you need to make this delicious laddoo:
- 2 tbsp almonds
- 2 tbsp cashews
- ½ cup peanuts
- ½ cup sesame
- 2 tbsp pistachios
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 2 dates
- ¼ tsp cardamom powder
- 2 tbsp jaggery
- 3 tbsp ghee
- In a non-stick pan, add 1 tbsp ghee and wait till it melts
- Add the peanuts, roast them till they turn golden brown. Remove from pan and set aside
- To the same pan, add sesame seeds and roast till they turn aromatic. Remove and set aside
- Next the nuts! Add rest of the ghee to the pan and the nuts (almonds, cashew, pistachios). Roast till it turns aromatic. Set aside
- Once all items cool down, in a blender add the nuts & seeds, grind till it becomes a coarse powder
- Next, add in the jaggery, cardamom and dates.
- Remove mixture and make laddoo (balls) out of it!
Make sure you store them in an airtight container, enjoy them!